Recent News

Martin Jones to the San Jose Sharks

June 30th, 2015 at 10:48 AM
By Suzanna Bezyan

The San Jose Sharks acquired goaltender Martin Jones from the Boston Bruins on Tuesday for forward prospect Sean Kuraly and the a first-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft.

"Martin was at the top of our list of players that we had targeted," said Sharks GM Doug Wilson in a statement. "We're extremely excited to have him on board."

For the second time in five days Jones has been traded. The Los Angeles Kings acquired forward Milan Lucic from the Boston Bruins in exchange for Jones, defenseman Colin Miller and the 13th overall selection in on Friday.

The Sharks had an open spot in goal when goaltender Antti Niemi's negotiating rights were traded to the Dallas Stars on Saturday.

Jones will compete with Alex Stalock, Niemi's backup this season, for the starting job.

Jones, 25, was signed by the Kings as an unrestricted free agent on October 2, 2008.

Per Jon Roisen of lakingsinsider.com, "he was due to become a restricted free agent on July 1; according to my contacts within hockey operations, negotiations did not exactly go expeditiously, which led to his name surfacing in trade talks."

Read more...
Join the Conversation...

Los Angeles Kings Terminate Mike Richards’ Contract

June 30th, 2015 at 12:45 AM
By Suzanna Bezyan

The Los Angeles Kings announced on Monday that they have terminated the contract of center Mike Richards, citing "a material breach" by the player.

The Kings put Richards on unconditional waivers Sunday. He cleared them Monday morning, and a regular buyout was expected. With the termination he is slated to become an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday.

"The Los Angeles Kings today have exercised the team’s right to terminate the contract of Mike Richards for a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player’s Contract," the team said in a statement. "We are not prepared to provide any more detail or to discuss the underlying grounds for the contract termination at this time.”

Richards has five years remaining on his 12-year, $69 million contract that he signed when he was the captain of the Philadelphia Flyers — and there is now $22 million remaining. If the Kings chose to buyout Richards it would be for 2/3 of the contract, meaning the buyout would cost the Kings $14.7 million over 10 years. He would have count against the Kings’ cap through the 2024-25 season.

Read more...
Join the Conversation...

Mike Richards Placed on Waivers, Expected to Be Bought Out

June 28th, 2015 at 12:33 PM
By Suzanna Bezyan

Via several reports this morning, Los Angeles Kings center Mike Richards has been placed on waivers.

This is expected to begin the process of buying out the 30-year old’s contract.

Richards has five years remaining on his 12-year, $69 million contract that he signed when he was the captain of the Philadelphia Flyers — and there is now $22 million remaining. The buyout is for 2/3 of the contract, meaning the buyout will cost the Kings $14.7 million over 10 years. He will count against the Kings’ cap through the 2024-25 season.

Although the buyout is a long term haul, it does give the Kings more than $9 million in cap space this summer.

Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi told Katie Strang of ESPN earlier this month, “It could be the worst decision I’ve ever made, but for all the right reasons.”

Lombardi had the opportunity to use a compliance buyout last summer for Richards but chose to give him a chance due to reassuring words.

Richards cleared waivers after the All-Star break this season and was sent down to the Kings AHL affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs. He returned late in March but didn’t make much of an impact.

Read more...
Join the Conversation...

Los Angeles Kings Make Six Total Selections at 2015 NHL Draft

June 27th, 2015 at 10:26 PM
By Suzanna Bezyan

The Los Angeles Kings originally had eight selections for the 2015 NHL Draft but left with a total of six selections from BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida.

The Kings opened the 2015 NHL Draft on Friday, trading their first round selection (13th overall) along with goaltender Martin Jones and defenseman Colin Miller to the Boston Bruins for forward Milan Lucic.

The Kings had a busy second day at the 2015 NHL Draft Saturday, picking six players.

Below are the statistics and information about each drafted player (in the order they were drafted), courtesy of the Kings public relations staff.

1. Defenseman Erik Cernak from Kosice in Slovakia’s top league in the second round (43rd overall). Cernak, a 6-4, 207-pound 18-year old (born May 28, 1997) is a native of Kosice, Slovakia and totaled 13 points (5-8=13) in 43 games last season. He has won two league championships with Kosice the last two seasons (2013-14 and 2014-15). Cernak has represented Slovakia in the last two World Junior Championships (2015: 6 GP, 0-2=2, 4 PIM; 2014: 5 GP, 0-0=0, 4 PIM), including earning a bronze medal in 2015. He also competed in the World Junior Under-18 Championships in 2013 (6 GP, 0-2=2, 8 PIM) and 2014 (5 GP, 0-0=0, 6 PIM), serving as the captain in 2014. He was named a Top Three Player on his team in both years. Also in 2013, he represented Slovakia in the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (5 GP, 0-0=0, 8 PIM) serving as the assistant captain.

Read more...
Join the Conversation...

Board of Governors Approves Start of the NHL’s Expansion Process

June 26th, 2015 at 6:40 PM
By Suzanna Bezyan

The NHL Board of Governors has approved for the League to begin accepting applications as part of a formal expansion process, Commissioner Gary Bettman said Wednesday in Las Vegas.

"The Board ultimately will determine whether or not there is any interest in expanding," Commissioner Bettman said in a news conference at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino after the approval. "If the conclusion is there is interest, from the League's perspective, then they will focus on what the terms will be and who the successful or likely successful candidates might be.”

Commissioner Bettman said the League has received interest from Las Vegas, Seattle and Quebec City.

"With all the well-chronicled expressions of interest, let's see what we get when you're required to sign on the dotted line on a formal application," Commissioner Bettman said.

Cities interested can submit applications from July 6 through August 10 for the Board of Governors' executive committee to review the applications.

"The fact that we're going through this process doesn't mean we're going to expand. All it means is that we're going to stop just listening to expressions of interest and take a good hard look at what they actually mean and represent."

Read more...
Join the Conversation...